I want you all to know that I am very aware and sensitive to the fact that I tend to bash President Obama and many of his policies in this blog. In this post I am going to do the opposite. Because while I disagree with him on so many things, there are some areas in which I give him credit and support what he has done. I thought in the spirit of this St. Patrick’s Day I’d share a “top ten” list of the Obama policies/actions I support:
1. Followed to the letter the Bush Administration’s “Status of Forces” agreement for a phased drawdown in Iraq, continuing the relative success of the Iraq venture.
2. Increased drone attacks on terrorist bases in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq.
3. Did not give in to the ‘”No Child Left Behind” stinks’ crowd, and instead has said it has strengths and weaknesses and needs to be adjusted, not thrown out completely.
4. Continued the Bush-era tax rates.
5. Keeping Gitmo open unless or until we have a better alternative.
6. Re-establishing military tribunals for terrorist suspects.
7. Keeping Robert Gates as Secretary of Defense.
8. Forcing out/relieving Rahm Emanuel as Chief of Staff and replacing him with the business-experienced Bill Daley.
9. Offering a balanced view on nuclear energy until we understand further details about the Japan nuclear situation and its relationship with American nuclear energy.
10. Selecting Kansas, not Duke or Ohio State, to win the NCAA Basketball Championship (Sorry Steph!).